Diabetes Mellitus is a Public Health Problem because it affects so many people. It is the 7th cause of death in the United States.
Diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States.
- Heart disease 659,041
- Cancer 599,601
- Accidents (unintentional injuries) 173,040
- Chronic lower respiratory diseases 156,979
- Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases) 150,005
- Alzheimer’s disease 121,499 Diabetes 87,647
- Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis 51,565
- Influenza and Pneumonia 49,783
- Intentional self-harm (suicide) 47,511
Diabetes Mellitus continues to be a problem in most counties. In the US the rates of diabetes are growing steadily since 2000. Texan and Harris County (Houston) have a higher prevalence than the U.S.