Your thyroid produces hormones that regulate your metabolism and other body functions. When your thyroid isn’t functioning well, it can dramatically affect how you feel. Dr. Juan Carlos Zubieta at North Houston Diabetes Institute in Humble, TX, provides a wide range of medical services, including diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disorders.
What You Need To Know About Thyroid Disorders
There are several common thyroid disorders, including:
- Hypothyroidism, when your thyroid function is below normal
- Hyperthyroidism, when your thyroid function is above normal
- Thyroid nodules or growths, which could be a sign of thyroid cancer
Let’s look at the signs, symptoms, and treatment of each of these conditions in more detail:
If you have hypothyroidism, you may experience:
- Feeling continuously cold
- Chronic muscle pain and fatigue
- Severely dry skin or hair loss
- Weight gain or constipation
Hypothyroidism can be treated with medications to supplement the amount of thyroid hormone.
If you have hyperthyroidism, you may experience:
- Feelings of anxiety
- Feeling continuously hot
- A racing heartbeat
- Profuse sweating
- Bulging eyes or vision problems
- Weight loss or increased bowel movements
Hyperthyroidism can be treated with medications to decrease production of thyroid hormone.
If you have thyroid nodules or growths, you may experience:
- Pain in your throat or neck
- Painful, difficult swallowing
- Chronic hoarseness in your voice
- Swollen lymph nodes in your neck
Thyroid nodules or growths should be surgically removed and biopsied to determine if abnormal or cancerous cells are present. If cancerous cells are present, radiation or chemotherapy may be necessary.
Thyroid disorders can be serious, affecting your entire body, your overall health, and how you feel. Your doctor can help you manage a thyroid disorder.
Want To Know More?
To find out more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of thyroid disorders, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Juan Carlos Zubieta at North Houston Diabetes Institute in Humble, TX. You can reach him in the office by calling (832) 644-9595, so call today.